Saturday, August 18, 2012

Green Ketchup (Hari Chutney)

Hari means green in Hindi, and aptly describes this Indian staple. Hari chutney is like ketchup in most Indian households (So much so that when I went to non-Indian barbeques as a child, I would demand for red AND green ketchup. Alas, I never received my latter request).
image
It adds a little zing to just about everything. In fact, one of my roommates in college used to swear by her signature sandwich: bread, hari chutney, and plain potato chips. With only a few ingredients, it's incredibly easy to make and a great dish to have handy in the fridge year round. It goes great with most of the recipes on this blog, so I figured I might as well share my recipe.
Though it's traditionally made with only fresh cilantro, I like to add mint when it's in season.
image
(Photo of my very own backyard mint plant. I don't understand why mint is so expensive at the grocery store considering it is the fastest growing plant in my garden).
For Recipe (Click Read More)


What you need:
(add more/less depending on how much you want to make and how you want it to taste. This recipe makes about 1 cup)
  1. Fresh mint leaves - 1 cup
  2. Fresh Cilantro - 2 cups
  3. Green chilies/jalapenos - 2
  4. Garlic - 2 cloves
  5. Sea salt - to taste and to sprinkle
  6. Extra virgin olive oil - 2 tbsp
  7. Lime juice - 1 tbsp
What you do:
  1. Blend all the ingredients in a food processor while drizzling in the olive oil. Don't let it get too smooth because I think a little texture makes for a better chutney. Taste it and make sure you like it.
Done! You can refrigerate it for a couple of weeks, but I guarantee you it won't last that long. Note: Some people add a quarter of red onion to the mix, so you can try that as well. I personally think it tends to overpower the other flavors, but go with whatever tingles your taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment