Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Palak Paneer Artichoke Dip

"Can I get the chicken makhani without the chicken?". That's what I want to say when I have to order Indian food...
I rarely go to Indian restaurants to eat, but when I do I have this problem where I eat all the gravy and leave the meat behind. The problem may also lie in the fact that most Indian restaurants just toss some tasteless grilled/boiled chicken or rubbery paneer into the gravy right before serving it. So, I thought it would be a great idea to take my favorite and most flavorful part of curry, the gravy, and create a dip!
image

This "Palak Paneer Artichoke" dip trades out the Parmesan in a traditional spinach-artichoke dip for fresh paneer. Best served with toasted naan or crackers.

For Recipe (Click Read More)



(Makes 4.5 cups, serves 15); Prep time: 5 mins; Total time: 30 mins

What you need:
  1. Fresh paneer, 2 cups, crumbled (Super easy to make. All you need is milk and a lemon. Recipe here).
  2. Chopped spinach, frozen 10 oz. box, thawed
  3. Artichoke hearts - 1 can (14 oz.), drained and chopped
  4. Sour cream/Indian yogurt - 2/3 cup
  5. Cream Cheese - 1 cup
  6. Mayonnaise - 2/3 cup
  7. Garlic, 1 small clove, minced
  8. Ginger - 1/4 inch piece, grated
  9. Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
  10. Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
  11. Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
  12. Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
  13. Butter - 1/2 tbsp
  14. Salt/Pepper
What you do:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Heat the spinach in the microwave for 5 minutes and drain.
  3. In a medium sauce pan, heat up the butter on medium-low heat. Add the ginger, garlic and red pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes, until soft (don't let them burn). 
  4. Remove the pan from the heat.
  5. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. Mix until smooth.
  6. Add the spinach, artichokes and paneer and fold.
  7. Add some salt, freshly ground pepper, and the powdered masalas (I like to also add a chopped green chilli for more kick).
  8. Transfer dip to a casserole and bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and delicious.
Done! I like to serve them with a mix of different toasted naan and pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment